Thursday 14 February 2008

Berwick Rangers vs Ross County

I'll not be attending this match, I have a trip to Wales organised for this weekend instead. The last time I missed a competitive match at Shielfield Park involving Berwick Rangers was back in March 1995. We beat Meadowbank Thistle 1-0, I attended the next match against Clyde where we drew 1-1, from there at the age of 13, I was pretty much hooked.

In those thirteen years I have stood in the Ducket or sat in the stand and watched some complete shite. The Jimmy Thompson days, Sandy Clark's failed attempt to keep us up and the first season of Paul Smith's reign were probably the worst.

Countless times I have walked out of Shielfield Park uttering the words "I'll not be back". I always said it but never really meant it. Until now. I left the Brechin game in January early and missed Iain Diack's double right at the end, but even before that I had had enough of this season. I was actually quite glad when the Cowden game was called off, leaving my Saturday free to do other things.

I'm not saying I won't be back - I'll be at the remainder of the home games and most of the away games. But it wasn't that long ago I wouldn't consider missing any games (it was only in December I missed my first away game in ten years) - now if I miss a game it isn't the end of the world, such is the poor season we have had.

I'm not too fussed about winning league titles, even winning games. But even in the darker days of Paul Smith and Jimmy Thompson we did have guys playing for the jersey, not win bonuses. That is all the fans want to see from a Berwick team - 11 honest guys panning their heid in for the cause.

The bullshit flying around the club and on P&B has also left me feeling like I can't be bothered with it all anymore.

As I keep saying, I just wish this season would end. I really hope there is a plan for next season...

No comments: